Attack of mice and rats
Mice and rats are among the most visible rodents in our gardens, not least because they are among the largest.The smell of food in food bowls gives great encouragement to feed-seeking rats and mice. It is also very common for enclosures to be constructed with chicken wire that is large enough formice and young ratsto pass unhindered through the animal enclosure.
Why are mice in your yard?
Miceandratsare among the most visible rodents in our gardens, not least because they are among the largest.
We are regularly called out to investigate rat problems in people’s gardens, which are usually the result of a few common factors.
5 Common Reasons Why Your Garden Shed Has Mice
- Feed birds– Bird feeders are often associated with mice and rats because so much food runs out onto the ground. This can be reduced by simply making sure that each feeder contains only one type of seed. When using mixed seeds in bird feeders, the birds will scoop out the seed they don’t like, put it on the ground, and eat only the seeds they prefer.
- Pet food available from pets such as rabbits and chickens – The smell of food in food bowls gives great encouragement to feed-seekingrats and mice. It is also very common for enclosures to be constructed with chicken wire that is large enough formice and young ratsto pass unhindered through the animal enclosure.
- Compost bins that are well stocked and don’t have a solid base – Compostbins provide ratswith a nesting spot that is heated by the decomposing contents all year round and has regular access to fresh food from your kitchen. Starchy foods such as potatoes are a popular meal for a rat’s. Most compost bins don’t have substrates, so we have to make one that mice can’t penetrate. This is a simple process and can be done with terrace tiles and some wire mesh.
- Damaged drains and drain inspection covers – Damaged drains and especially broken inspection covers allow rats to reach your surface and garden unhindered. The sudden appearance or presence of holes near or near drain covers are ideal forrodentsto enter your garden.
- Large amounts of litter/waste deposited or abandoned – Rats are quite vulnerable to the effects of low food availability and harsh winter conditions, but where there is shelter, they can thrive in the most extreme conditions. When large deposits of waste are left for long periods of time, rats will use this waste for feeding and breeding.
With any food supply, there will be an opportunity for rodents to make a home nearby.
Remember that rats do not have a sense of taste, but they have an excellent sense of smell.
Mice rarely settle in conditions without a good source of food nearby. For this important reason, you should always ask “Why are they there”.
Noen ganger vil årsaken være enkel som er lett å identifisere, og i andre situasjoner kan det være svært vanskelig.
Slik forhindrer du mus under boden din
Noen få enkle trinn kan sikre at du aldri har et museproblem under uteboden din. Tiltak som vil hjelpe deg med å bli kvitt rotter inkluderer:
- Plasser boden din på en solid betongbase (de kan ikke grave seg gjennom dette).
- Omgi skuret ditt med et 50cm bredt og 20cm dypt lag av singel/grus.
- Tett igjen alle potensielle inngangshull
- Oppbevar ikke noen for for usiktrede matkilder.
Det høres enkelt ut, og det er det faktisk. Men hva er årsakene til problemet ditt som vil være en mye tøffere nøtt å knekke?
I mange tilfeller vil det avhenge av dine naboer! En annen grunn kan være din nærhet til naturlige aktivitetsrområder som vannveier (elver, bekker og kanaler) og vannmasser (innsjøer, dammer og kanaler).
Uansett årsak, er vi alltid klare for å hjelpe deg med å løse eller forebygge dine problemer. Kontakt Sørlandet skadedyrkontroll idag for en uforpliktende samtale.